Wednesday, November 14, 2012

THE ZOMBIE EFFECT

Hollywood goes through phases. Right now we’re stuck in this 3D kick that was spawned by James Cameron and his Pocahontas knock off better known as Avatar. I seriously think it’s just a gimmick to get honest paying customers to fork over three extra dollars to see a movie, but I’ll spare you my disdain in regards to this hopefully short lived phase.  There are plenty of other phases that come and go, some faster than others. Each year between late August and October horror films start popping into theaters. There was this awesome period in the early 2000s with the modern take on classic literature featuring angsty teenagers like 10 Things I Hate About You, Clueless, Cruel Intentions, and my favorite Carmen: A Hip Hopera.
I’m generally opposed to the types of movies that tend to be trendy. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll likely watch these movies multiple times when nothing else strikes my fancy, but I avoid them for as long as possible. The biggest offender right now is probably the Twilight franchise. I get it, people are into vampires but now everywhere I go I see Edward Cullen pouting somewhere.

Zombie movies are everywhere these days. It’s probably safe to say that this is the latest trendy phase so my instincts are to roll my eyes and move on to the next trailer and hope it doesn’t include anyone that is undead. But I have to say that I may be wrong about the Zombie apocalypse that’s hitting the big screen. Did you see Zombieland? It was amazing and it introduced the world to Emma Stone and it featured Bill Murray playing himself. Need I say more? What about I Am Legend? Even that was about zombies! Check out the trailers below for World War Z and Warm Bodies. Both seem to have really interesting stories with really big actors. Brad Pitt even bought into this. Are zombie movies good movies? Have screenwriters found a way to take the latest craze and write intriguing storylines? I’m beginning to think I should be more open minded about these phases, at least if they include zombies.  


No comments:

Post a Comment